Fields of Research (FoR)Sociology, Health services and systems, Sociology of health, Sexualities
I specialise in social research in the field of HIV prevention and sexual health. I am a qualitative health researcher and sociologist and have worked at the Centre for Social Research in Health (CSRH) since 2018, where I completed my PhD (2018-2022). I am currently employed as a postdoctoral researcher at CSRH. In this role I work as a project coordinator within the NSW PRISM project to investigate HIV stigma amongst gay and bisexual men, and...view more
I specialise in social research in the field of HIV prevention and sexual health. I am a qualitative health researcher and sociologist and have worked at the Centre for Social Research in Health (CSRH) since 2018, where I completed my PhD (2018-2022). I am currently employed as a postdoctoral researcher at CSRH. In this role I work as a project coordinator within the NSW PRISM project to investigate HIV stigma amongst gay and bisexual men, and on an NHMRC-funded project exploring how to expand the Gay Community Periodic Survey to priority populations. In addition to working at CSRH, I am an Adjunct Research Fellow in the Curtin School of Population Health, and an associate of the Australian Human Rights Institute (UNSW).
My program of research is primarily focused on how communities and health professionals engage with HIV prevention, care, and surveillance. My research aims to better shape health policy, care, and service delivery that recognises, affirms, and supports individuals and communities to live well. I particularly focus on LGBTQ+ populations, especially gay and bisexual men, along with community-based organisations and professionals serving these populations. Beyond a focus on HIV, sexual health, and LGBTQ+ communities, I am interested in the sociology of health and illness, pharmaceutical studies, critical public health, data justice, science & technology studies, and the sociology of gender and sexuality.
I am currently involved in the following projects:
- LGBTQ+ Health Data Project - Assistance with project coordination, led by Prof Christy E. Newman
- Edited Collection with Palgrave Macmillan (forthcoming 2025): Timescapes of Health, Illness and Care - Negotiating Contested Temporalities (with Dr Katherine Kenny and Dr Mia Harrison)
- Guest editor of 2024 special issue of Health Sociology Review - Matters of Time in Health & Illness (with Dr Mia Harrison and Dr Sophie Adams)
- The HIV PRISM Partnership (The HIV Prevention Research Implementation Science Monitoring Partnership) - Project coordinator of Stigma Qualitative Study, led by Scientia Prof. Carla Treloar
- Gay Community Periodic Survey NHMRC Partnership Project - Project coordinator of qualitative arm, led by Prof Martin Holt and Prof Christy E. Newman
- Responding to monkeypox virus among gay and bisexual men in Australia (RE:MPXV) - Principal investigator of qualitative study
- Evidencing and Implementing Interventions in a Viral Elimination Era - Project coordinator of PrEP case study
- Tracking our communities' responses to monkeypox (MPX) outbreak (TraX Study) - Associate Investigator
- Sex and Gender Health Policies in Health and Medical Research - Advisory group member
My past research projects include:
- PrEP in Practice: clinician perspectives on prescribing PrEP in Australia
- Trust in Digital Health
- 'Waiting to be seen: social perspectives on trans health' special issue of Health Sociology Review (Guest co-editor)
- my health, our family: documenting stories of family life in the context of HIV, hepatitis B and hepatitis C
- Enhancing Tasmanian Health Professionals’ Capacity for LGBTI-Inclusive Care (University of Tasmania)
- Understanding disparities in PrEP Access
Principal Investigator - $75k Triple I Clinical Academic Group Seed Grant Funding (UNSW Medicine & Health) - Responding to monkeypox virus (RE:MPXV): a qualitative study of community and professional experiences
PhD, UNSW Sydney
GradCert Human Rights (with distinction), Curtin University.
BA (Hons) English & Creative Writing, Murdoch University.
BA Philosophy and BA Theatre & Drama, Murdoch University.
UNSW Scientia PhD Scholarship (2018-2022)
ASHM Early Career Award (2020)
ADA HDR Research Output Award (2020-2022)
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
- Social research in HIV/sexual health
- Sociology of health & illness, gender, and/or sexuality
- Qualitative health research
- Shannon Harvey: Disrupted bodies: Interrogating the gender binary in family violence policy and practice
- Associate Editor, Sexual Health
- Editorial Advisory Board, Health Sociology Review
- Member, ACON Research Ethics Review Committee
- Member, The Australian Sociological Association (TASA)
- Member, The Australasian Society for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, and Sexual Health Medicine (ASHM)
Establishing effective routines of taking medication requires ongoing effort amidst the variabilities of everyday life. Drawing on 40 qualitative interviews with Australian PrEP users (who used a variety of dosing strategies, including daily and on-demand), we conceptualise PrEP dosing as a domestic practice, involving routines, planning, and experimentation. This presentation offers insights into how people can be better supported to use PrEP.
Seminar Details: https://www.arts.unsw.edu.au/centre-social-research-health/events/seminar-christy-newman-martin-holt-anthony-k-j-smith